Like many of you, Michael and I have been cooking all our of meals at home over the past couple of weeks. One of our go-to recipes at home is this easy chicken enchilada recipe! It’s a nice alternative to tacos when you’re craving Mexican food but want to switch it up!
I’m including the ingredients I use and the way I prep my enchiladas below, but feel free to mix it up and use what you have on hand to create your version of these easy chicken enchiladas!
Easy Chicken Enchiladas
2 large chicken breasts
Chicken broth (if you have it, not necessary)
1 bottle/can enchilada sauce (I like Trader Joe’s)
Shredded Mexican blend cheese
Cilantro for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- I use an Instant Pot to cook the chicken. You can use a crock pot/slow cooker or bake the chicken. Cook the chicken until it’s shreddable. In the Instant Pot: Place chicken breasts in Instant Pot. Cover with water or chicken broth if you have it. Seal the Instant Pot and set the Pressure Cook on High for 20 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, it should be cooked to where it is almost falling apart, shred the chicken. I use our KitchenAid mixer. Place the chicken breasts in the mixing bowl and use the paddle attachment to easily shred the chicken.
- Once the chicken is shredded, add half a bottle or can of the enchilada sauce to the chicken. Stir and coat the chicken breast.
- Wrap 7-8 corn tortillas in damp paper towels and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. This will make the tortillas easier to roll without them breaking apart.
- Spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray to prevent sticking. One by one, take a corn tortilla and fill it with the chicken/enchilada sauce mixture. Roll the tortilla and place in the baking dish. Repeat this process until all tortillas are filled and baking dish is filled. Push the filled tortillas up against one another. This will keep the tortillas rolled and prevent them from falling apart.
- Once the baking dish is full, cover the tortillas with the remaining enchilada sauce.
- Top with shredded cheese and jalapeño slices.
- Bake in the over at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- While the enchiladas are baking, if you have the ingredients on hand, my easy homemade guacamole makes a great side!
- If you have cilantro on hand, sprinkle fresh chopped cilantro on top of enchiladas once you pull them out of the oven.